2 March 2017

Research in the context of global health emergencies: writing a background paper for the Nuffield Council on Bioethics.

By Agomoni Ganguli-Mitra and Nayha Sethi

Health care workers at JFK hospital in Monrovia prepare to go into the Ebola ward. © 2014 Kevin Sieff/The Washington Post, Courtesy of Photoshare
In 2016, in the wake of the Ebola and the Zika outbreaks, the international community’s response to global health emergencies and their associated moral, regulatory and political implications once again came under intense scrutiny. For the bioethics and governance communities these were real challenges, forcing us to revisit some of the most difficult ethical questions around pandemics, such as health inequality, weak health system and access to care, and reproductive health. The challenges were all the greater for having to address them within the global (heterogenous) regulatory systems. The response to Ebola for example, developing at the intersection between humanitarian response, care, and research activities - each with their values and goals - brought into question well established ethical norms and practices. It was against this background that the Nuffield Council on Bioethics launched a call to commission research on research in the context of global health emergencies.

We were fortunate to win the commission to take on this work. The brief was clear: we were to produce a background paper on the ethical and governance issues raised by research in the context of global health emergencies. The result was a challenging, but extremely interesting experience for both of us. As newcomers to the topic, there were unexpected obstacles. For example, we spent quite a few hours questioning what might, or might not count as a global health emergency. We also faced obstacles many academics will be familiar with: how to reduce a wealth of literature (relevant regulatory and governance tools, laws, partnerships, practices, actors, cases, practices and lessons-learned) into a short, comprehensive document that would be accessible, and of use to the Council.

In the end, however, teasing out some of the conflicts was one of the most interesting exercises. For example, in the particular context of infectious diseases, how do we reconcile the ‘moral obligation to learn as much as possible, as quickly as possible’ (WHO 2016) with the seemingly equally important norm of not sacrificing care for the sake of conducting research? Perhaps unsurprisingly, then, our concluding section was organised around various sets of tensions:

1. Tensions between ‘response’ and ‘research’: for example, how can care, research and innovation co-exist efficiently and ethically?
2. Tensions within research: for example to what extent can we develop anticipatory ethical and regulatory frameworks for research during epidemics, in a context where oversight and governance need to be particularly sensitive and responsive to evolving and emerging situations?
3. Tensions arising in priority-setting and collaboration: for example, when engaging local, regional and global communities, how do we ensure that all voices are heard and differing priorities are taken into account?

It is not often that academics witness their work being put to immediate practical use. In this case, our background paper served to inform a workshop at the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, to which we were also invited. The event brought together
scientists, physicians, responders, regulators, ethicists and other stakeholders to discuss some of the issues arising from the paper. We have certainly been inspired to think in-depth about some of the issues we encountered while writing. We are grateful to the Council for providing us with the opportunity to do so, and we look forward to continuing to contribute to this important field.

The background paper can be accessed here.

10 comments:


  1. MY NAME IS MARIAM FROM SOUTH AFRICA...I SAW THIS COMMENT ON POSITIVE BLOGS AND I WILL LOVE TO TELL EVERYBODY HOW MY STATUS CHANGES TO NEGATIVE, AND AM NOW A LIVING WITNESS OF IT AND I THINK ITS A SHAME ON ME IF I DON'T SHARE THIS LOVELY STORY WITH OTHER PEOPLE INFECTED WITH THIS DEADLY VIRUS...,HIV HAS BEEN ONGOING IN MY FAMILY... I LOST BOTH PARENTS TO HIV,. AND IT IS SO MUCH PAIN IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET OVER.. AS WE ALL KNOW MEDICALLY THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO IT..AND MEDICATION IS VERY EXPENSIVE..SO SOMEONE INTRODUCED ME TO A NATIVE MEDICAL PRACTITIONER IN AFRICA..I HAD A JOB THERE TO EXECUTE SO I TOOK TIME TO CHECK OUT ON HIM.I SHOWED HIM ALL MY TESTS AND RESULTS.. I WAS ALREADY DIAGNOSED WITH HIV AND IT WAS ALREADY TAKING ITS TOWL ON ME.. I HAD SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS SO I DECIDED TO TRY HIM OUT...I WAS ON HIS DOSAGE FOR 1 MONTHS. ALTHOUGH I DIDNT BELIEVE IN IT, I WAS JUST TRYING IT OUT OF FRUSTRATION... AND AFTER 2 WEEKS, I WENT FOR NEW TESTS... AND YOU WONT BELIEVE THAT 5 DIFFERENT DOCTORS CONFIRMED IT THAT AM NEGATIVE..IT WAS LIKE A DREAM,,I NEVER BELIEVE AIDS HAS CURE..AM NOW NEGATIVE,,AM A LIVING WITNESS..I DONT KNOW HOW TO THANK THIS MAN... I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS IN ANY WAY I CAN..HAVE JOINED MANY FORUMS AND HAVE POSTED THIS TESTIMONIES AND ALOT OF PEOPLE HAS MAIL AND CALLED THIS MAN ON PHONE AND AFTER 2 WEEKS THEY ALL CONFIRMED NEGATIVE..BBC NEWS TOOK IT LIVE AND EVERY.. HOPE HE HELPS YOU OUT.. EVERYBODY SAW IT AND ITS NOW OUT IN PAPERS AND MAGAZINES THAT THERE'S NATIVE CURE FOR HIV AND ALL WITH THE HELP OF THIS MAN,,HAVE TRIED MY OWN PARTS AND ALL LEFT WITH YOU,,IF YOU LIKE TAKE IT OR NOT..GOD KNOWS HAVE TRIED MY BEST.ABOUT 97 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE THROUGH ME..AND THEY SEND MAILS TO THANKS ME AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN CONFIRMED NEGATIVE,,THIS MAN IS REAL..DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE,,HIV IS A DEADLY VIRUS,,GET RID OF IT NOW..
    case there is anyone who has similar problem and still

    looking for a way out, and he those cast all kind of spell like ::
    Love Spells
    Luck, Money Spells
    Health, Well Being
    Protection, Healing
    Curses, ex, Breakups
    NEW! Combo Spells
    High Priestess Spells
    Vampire Spells
    Authentic Voodoo Spells
    Custom, Other Spells
    Business spells
    Health/Healing spells
    Cancer healing
    Curse removal
    Job spells
    Healing from all kind of diseases
    Love binding
    Barrenness(need a child)
    Need love
    Lottery Spells
    Promotions
    Success
    Money rituals
    winning court case
    Divorce spells
    Low sperm count
    Infertility in women
    Breast enlargement/reduction
    Penis enlargement/reduction
    Diabetes
    Arthritis
    sicklecell
    YOU CAN CONTACT HIM HERE AS (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his state based number text him here if you're in the US: 760-935-3804 if you need any question contact me via here as mariambaurice@gmail.com i wish you best of luck and good health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Name is Robert Fred from Canada..it gives me great joy to share with you on how I was cured of a dreaded virus called HIV Disease by Dr.ZUKU,a powerful traditional herbalist.i have be suffered for 8years and till now i am still shocked but the good new is that Dr,ZUKU is the reason for my smile today. i don't know to explain how everything worked. the healing happened within the twinkle of my eye. after all the years of going from places to another for remedy. i got my cured finally. May God continue to bless his work and also to my best friend who searched him on his internet and directed me to contact him. after writing to him he prepared my herbal cure and how i am to use it and withing 2 weeks after using herbal remedy i went to check up and was found that my HIV Virus was gone and was negative.It is indeed a great news to those who must be suffering from one disease or virus, Dr Zuku is able to challenge that affliction. Why not visit him today through: drzukuspelltemple@gmail.com call or text for more information +16177296273

      Delete
  2. hello
    I am vivian Regobert
    am posting this comment for those who have HIV and need cure
    Dr Muli Jonathan Herbal cure is 100% Guarantee sure to cure you of HIV.
    He can cure any types of Disease.
    My HUSBAND and I had HIV for more than 9 year.
    I was so sick and my viral load was >225,000 copies/ml
    I saw a post about Dr Muli Jonathan online on how he has cured so many people and how greatly he has helped many individuals online
    so i contacted him and explained My situation to him
    He promised to send me his herbal medicine and after 4days i received the herbal medicine
    My HUSBAND and I used the herbal medicine for 10days and then went for a re-test
    And now we are HIV NEGATIVE
    Thank you Dr Muli Jonathan for restoring peace to my family
    i am sharing this testimony because i promised Dr Muli Jonathan that i will testify after i have been cured.
    You can reach Dr Muli Jonathan through:
    mulijonathanherbal@gmail.com
    Call/Whatsapp: +2349038544302

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is all i see now I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 5 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one place to another looking for way to get rid of this disease, the hospital have been my home everyday residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby not until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how DR.Temi helped someone in curing his HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is (superherbalmiracletemple@gmail.com) just to give him a test I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to provide the herbal cure to me, which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after some days after using the herbal cure, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him in return. if you are having a similar problem just email him on superherbalmiracletemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed true that lottery spells are real for more than 4 years i have been active in playing the state farm lottery amongst others and had only won once and it was a small win. I came across posts of how spell casters help with lottery wins and i decided to give it a try but still no luck until a friend gave me the email address of Dr Zadson just 6 months back after i contacted him i was given some instructions and i adhered to them and in the last 5 months i had won over $7,000,000.00 in all on several occasions and this was too wonderful a miracle to be quite about and i decided to tell the world of this great ambassador. Contact him with details below for immediate and active lottery spells and have your own testimony
    Email : eduduzadsontemple@yahoo.com or +1240-892-4311

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is gilberto melo from poland,i was diagnosed of HIV for over 2 years which made me lose my job and mostly part my life was gone because i couldn't keep up with myself, until a friend from Singapore introduce me to a healer called Dr Emua and ask me to contact him which i did without hesitation so he responded and i told him my problems and he promise me solution and ask me to trust have fate in my herbals medicine, which i did, i did what he demanded of me and after a week he ask me to go for an HIV test and to my greatest surprise i came out negative and till now the doctors is still surprised, about my situation so i want everyone out there that is leaving with HIV/AIDS to should please contact him from cure on his email address on Do not loose hope too soon contact him If you need his help, you can Email him @ dremuahelphome@outlook.com or dremuahelphome@gmail.com for easy and fast communication you can also call or add him on whats-app with this number +2347063628174 and i am confident he will help you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was diagnosed with HIV by my ex girlfriend in 2011 and i have tried all possible means to get cured but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal man called Dr Oboite who can prepare natural herbal medication to cure all kind of diseases including HIV, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact the herbal man via his email, he prepared the herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery service, when i received his herbal cure,he gave me direction on how to take it, when i take it as he instructed, i was totally cured from this deadly disease within 7 days of usage, I am now free from this deadly disease called HIV, all thanks to Dr Oboite. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email,droboiteherbalcurehome@gmail.com or call his number or whatsapp him, +2348054265852,he can also help with this following problems, HEPATITIS B,ALS, CANCER,HERPES,HPV,TO GET PREGNANT

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Great Dr.OLIHA herbal medicine is a good or perfect cure remedy for HIV Virus, I was diagnose of HIV for almost 5 years, everyday i am always on research looking for a perfect way to get rid of this terrible disease as i always knew that what we need for our health is right here on earth though the scientist say there is know cure for this disease,on my search I saw some different testimony on how Dr. OLIHA has been able to cure HIV with is herbal medicine. I decided to contact this man, I contacted him and he guided me on how to purchase for the medicine. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. OLIHA herbal med icine, I’m very grateful to Dr. OLIHA, reach him now on (oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com ) or you can also call him on +2349038382931.

    Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    9. Asthma
    10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma
    11. Diabetes
    12.CHRONIC PANCREATIC
    13.CHLAMYDIA
    14.ZIKA VIRUS

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    Thank you for sharing such an amazing and informative post . Really enjoyed reading it. :)

    Thank you

    Regards

    Apu

    Global Medical Management

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Name is Robert Fred from Canada..it gives me great joy to share with you on how I was cured of a dreaded virus called HIV Disease by Dr.ZUKU,a powerful traditional herbalist.i have be suffered for 8years and till now i am still shocked but the good new is that Dr,ZUKU is the reason for my smile today. i don't know to explain how everything worked. the healing happened within the twinkle of my eye. after all the years of going from places to another for remedy. i got my cured finally. May God continue to bless his work and also to my best friend who searched him on his internet and directed me to contact him. after writing to him he prepared my herbal cure and how i am to use it and withing 2 weeks after using herbal remedy i went to check up and was found that my HIV Virus was gone and was negative.It is indeed a great news to those who must be suffering from one disease or virus, Dr Zuku is able to challenge that affliction. Why not visit him today through: drzukuspelltemple@gmail.com call or text for more information +16177296273

    ReplyDelete